Thursday, March 10, 2011

Day 19: Frustration

Yesterday was Day 19 of P90X.  Legs and Back workout.  I don’t want to say it is an EASY workout.  It’s not.  I frequently get nauseous from the workout and the next day my glutes and hamstrings are sore.  So it’s not an easy workout, but I CAN do all the exercises, so it makes it SEEM easy compared to yesterday’s Yoga X workout.
But I don’t want to focus on that workout today.  I want to focus on my frustration at not losing more weight.  Those who follow Beachbody on Twitter, Facebook, or their newsletters constantly see amazing results from folks who follow the program - regular people, like you and me, who have jobs, families and other responsibilities.   The program works and works well.
I, on the other hand, have lost 4 lbs in almost 3 weeks.  FOUR LOUSY POUNDS!  Yesterday I ate approximately 2000 calories for the day, worked out very hard and GAINED A POUND.  My wife says I’m a slave to the scale, and that I should only look at it once a week.  But that’s hard.  I like to see results.  I like to know that what I’m doing is working. 
What am I doing wrong?  Am I eating too little?  Yesterday I had the Level 3 protein shake w/ Silk light, GNC protein powder, Dole frozen strawberries and a banana.  I think that is around 600 calories.  AM snack was two non-fat cheese sticks (180 calories).  Lunch was a box of Campbell’s V-8 Butternut Squash Soup (delicious by the way, and only 180 calories). PM snack was a protein bar (190 calories).  Dinner was a tuna steak, green beans and couscous.  I only had about half of my couscous and was stuffed.  I also had 12 oz of Silk Light Chocolate Milk for my recovery drink (135 calories) after my workout.  The tuna steak was about the size of a small chicken breast and was only seasoned with pepper and a little season salt.
Just to be clear….I GAINED a pound.  Crazy.
I try to be philosophical about it.  My clothes fit better.  I’m in pants I haven’t worn in months.  Collars button easier.  I’m definitely stronger and more flexible.  I just wish it would show more on the scale.
I guess I’ll just keep pressing play until the results catch up with me.

2 comments:

  1. results will come on the scale. its only a matter of time. most people do not realize how much water weight they are carrying around on a daily basis. your weight may flux as much as 5-8lbs throughout the day based on your hydration level.

    Also, weigh yourself at the same time every day. being a slave to the scale will only show you that you are lighter in the morning and heavier in the evening unless you are starving yourself.

    Weigh yourself every morning after using the bathroom. that is the best indicator for weight loss.

    If your pants and shirts fit better then you will soon see great results on the scale.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also remember the muscle you are gaining is denser than the fat you lost. It may take a while for the weight loss to catch up with the physical changes. As my new role model, maybe you can inspire your fat 55 yr old brother to start exercising. Kendra is after me to loose a bunch.

    ReplyDelete