Monday, March 7, 2011

Got Yelled At, So I Started This Blog

Hi Everybody, and welcome to my new blog!

The title of this post is true.  A friend I know, who is a "social media" expert yelled at me for sending too many tweets in a row.  Apparently people don't like that.  Who knew?  She said to start a blog instead and just link to it in my tweets.  Okie dokie.  I'm certainly not a social media expert, and am a bit of a technophobe, so I'll do my best to make this interesting, keepyou abreast of my fitness progress and gleen any pointers I may pick up along the way.

I've been chronicling  my path to fitness since I began Beachbody's P90X.  This isn't the first exercise program I started, and probably won't be the last, but I hope this is the beginning of the end of my "overweight period"...you know like Dylan's folk period, or George Lucas' Jar-Jar period.

It's not like I've been overweight all my life.  At one time, I was a pretty good, if unmotivated, athlete.  I was never the last on picked in gym class, and depending on the sport, was usually one of the first picked - except in volleyball - at 5'9" I was never picked early.  In the Navy, I once ran 3 miles in 17 minutes.  But then came the slow, steady decline.

A lack of interest in anything other than TV, beer and hot wings led to more and more apathy, TV, beer and hot wings.  In November 2006, I topped out at 296lbs. I couldn't believe it.  That day when I weighed myself I said I would never reach 300lbs.  And I haven't.

I lost weight and gained it back, lost weight and gained it back, and so on and so forth.  I would exercise intensely for 3 months, then fall off the wagon, usually coinciding with an illness or minor injury.  I'd gain some weight back, then start the process all over again.

In 2008, a friend made an outrageous suggestion - "Let's do a nighttime trail run...in the dark."  What?  But it was true.  Pretzel City Sports in Reading, PA was putting on their 1st Annual Dark 'n' Dirty 6 mile trail run.  The kicker was that they served beer...during the run...as a water station.  I was in!  While I didn't do it fast, I did finish in about 1hr 30min.  It was a blast!  I did one more that year, a 9 mile trail run at Thanksgiving called the Dirty Bird.

After that, I set my sights higher.  I wanted to do a triathlon.  So I did.  In fact, I did two in 2009.  I was losing weight and having fun.  I then planned to do more in 2010, when a series of unfortunate events conspired to keep me from competing, and led to my most recent regain.

I got really sick in April - bacterial pneumonia - that I think I got from my son, who had it at roughly the same time.  That put the kaibosh on my first scheduled tri in May.  Then I wanted to do one in September and I broke a bone in my foot in a "beach accident" in August (I dropped a beach umbrella on my foot - pointy end down).  That really hurt.  And it continued to hurt until at least Halloween.  I couldn't wear a shoe for several weeks, then I had to wear it untied.  Bike shoes were a complete no go.

So I'm right back where I started.  A year older and out-of-shape.

In January of this year I decided to try Beachbody's P90X.  I'm not a complete newcomer to the experience.  I did Beachbody's Power90 last year, over the winter, to get prepared for the triathlons.  I liked it a lot, so I decided to go to the next level.  And so begins my journey......

No comments:

Post a Comment